[LMB] SP: Cordelia's Honour (was all sorts)

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:21:42 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 11/2/10, Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Brothers-in-Arms - Miles lectures/warns not-yet-Mark on the
>> checks and balances in the Barrayaran Government while captured. An
>> emperor who gets too uppity is going to end up like Yuri Vorbarra.
>
> My point exactly.  Yuri Vorbarra was not medically removed when he showed mental instability. He was not impeached by a judicial tribunal when he started slaughtering his people for no good legal reason.  It took anarchy, and ongoing civil war, and success by arms to get rid of him - and even then, he was not just deposed or imprisoned, he was to be ritually slaughtered by degrees, and the only reason that didn't happen was Aral's mercy killing.

Aral did not mercy kill him. Aral once suggested, to his father, that
he thought about doing it - but he instead took merely his first slice
from the belly. I seem to remember the screams were quite disturbing
before it was all over.

> Seems to me this proves my point that the Emperor is in charge as long as he lives.  Unless laws on the matter changed radically when Aral was Regent.  My guess is that Aral changed things a little, by degrees, but Barrayar still doesn't have a constitutional monarchy, it doesn't have anyone or anything that can oversee the ruler, it doesn't have checks and balances. It has an Emperor in charge.  *If* there is an irreconciliable  disagreement between the Counts and the Emperor, it can't be settled by majority vote.  It can only be settle by rebellion and civil war.

Yep. An unwritten (as is everything like it on Barrayar) check & balance.

> Now, I think we all agree Gregor wouldn't let it come to that, or at least, wouldn't let the problems boil over to any such stage - he's a master at defusing situations before they happen.

When he's not throwing himself out of the window of whatever residence
he's staying at.

>> I doubt Cordelia would want to.
>
> I wish she did.  Considering that we haven't heard what she thinks of the matter, our speculation on the matter isn't proof.
>
>> She might be happy being a consultant
>> on it, but actually governing Barrayaran style? Ick.
>
> She's been doing it for years. She isn't a consultant, she's a co-regent.

She _was_ a co-regent, or actually a Regent Consort I believe. Now
she's a Vicerenne (sp?), and a dowager one at that. As well as a
Dowager Countess.

>> She might very well prefer returning to Barrayar and bouncing
>> grandkids on her knees instead.
>
> Hee. Bringing the Hellion up right.  Telling her stories of Beta-style egalitarianism.

All true wealth is biological....

>> Staying off Ekatarina's toes would be the task there...
>
> Do you think Ekaterin and Cordelia would get along well?

After 40 years in the job, she might have to firmly remind herself
that she's not the Countess anymore. But I do suspect that they'd get
along fine... perhaps she'd take over the Vorkosigan District medical
system as her pet project again. I'm sure Miles would support her in
that.

>> With 10 years of history of Lord Dono (who has apparently
>> fathered at least one child) behind them, The Counts might go along
>> with a female running things.
>
> Lord Dono lives on Barrayar.  He is Vor.  It's a totally different situation.  He is one of them now.

I'm sure you can still find quite a few conservative party Vor who
choke on calling Dono a "he" much less calling him Count.

> Besides, it isn't a matter of giving power to Cordelia.  She already has it.  Cordelia has already held shared supreme power on Sergyar for years without changing gender.

The question is - was it viewed as a sharing of power? After all -
Prince Phillip has been married to Queen Elizabeth since the 40s or
50s - but nobody views it as a sharing of power. Nor would anyone
seriously consider him taking over as King... it's the quickest
example I could come up with.

>> Might. But I think they'd have to be
>> convinced.
>
> Why? Their permission would not be needed for her to keep her position, and Sergyar is far away. It might be a political point, but hardly a pressing one.

It was not her signature on the documents - it was Aral's.

Although... :-) I can see a bunch of the counts being highly in favor
of keeping that "unsettling" woman off of Barrayar.

>> > --

Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com