[LMB] Oaths - related to Barrayaran politics

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Wed Nov 3 02:19:25 GMT 2010

On 11/2/2010 9:46 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> On 11/2/2010 10:20 AM, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>> Barrayarans seem to have oaths that do not involve references to
>> religion, and are certainly legally binding.
>
> I always wondered what the legal difference is between lying to a
> court or to a king and lying under oath to a court or a king.
>
> I affirm that I'm not lying to you.   If you don't believe me, just
> ask me, and I'll tell you that I'm not lying.

NEW from JRJ> Heh.  Hope I haven't already told this one, but in one of
my former jobs I had to arrange for a long-term visa for my German boss
to travel in the USA.  He was rotfl-ing because one of the questions on
the form actually asked, outright, "Are you lying?"  (Gawd help us.)

One hopes that the Barrayaran form of FedSpeak, after a millenium or so,
has improved.  But wouldn't bet on it.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone