[LMB] A question about Barrayar

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Nov 3 03:38:18 GMT 2010

On Nov 2, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Also there's the attitude of some older women, as in 'Mountains of Mourning'
> - the 'we had to do it the hard way, why should they get it so easy now' refrain.

As with certain Asian cultures where the bride & groom live with his mother, she's mean and awful to the young bride, because she now has the power she herself didn't have as a young bride. Won't give up that power or break the cycle, for the same ingrained reason.

Marina
not a fan of that attitude, esp. when imported into Western society by Westerners for their own use