[LMB] replicators

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Wed Nov 3 05:52:39 GMT 2010

Quoting Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com>:

> --- On Tue, 11/2/10, Whit Johnstone <whitinohio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I get the impression from the books
>> that while Barryaran doctors may have
>> known ABOUT uterine replicators since they emerged from the
>> Time of Isolation, they had not actually gotten their hands on a
>> working model until the Escobarans delivered a set to them during
>> Shards of Honor.
>
> Strikes me that it may have been an economic problem.  Recovering
> from civil wars, living at a far lower standard of living than
> Escobar or Komarr or Beta Colony... they could afford neither the
> technology to build replicators nor the expertise to run them.
> Surely it would have seemed like an unnecessary luxury, when people
> can have babies the old way - and women weren't making the decisions.
>
> Plus, fear of mutants.
>
> Probably fear also of off-world technology.  Stuff they'd never seen
>  or experienced.  Not just mutancy, but the distaste of foreign
> customs when they saw planets where people had meddled with
> reproduction - planets like Jackson's Whole and Cetaganda.

Not to mention, fear that if they become dependent on these machines,
those who run them will end up running the show.

That said---why do you all assume that *women* would necessarily be
all in favor of uterine replicators?  I was talking about this very
subject once (around the time that _Mirror Dance_ came out, IIRC) with
a friend of mine who'd had some spectacular problems having her last
baby---and she told me that if she decided to reproduce again, she
wouldn't want to use a uterine replicator even _after_ the troubles
she had (pre-eclampsia, and then a good-sized stroke---LOONG story).

You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I'm not terribly
interested in having children, even if it were a possibility, but if I
had a partner who wanted to, and replicators were available, I'd be
pushing them, HARD.  I don't only _look_ a lot like Mark Vorkosigan, I
often can _think like_ him (the late Azalais and I are the only
Jacksonians on this heavily Barrayaran and Betan list, IIRC) and I
agreed with him completely in his horrified reaction to the idea of
_Kareen_ having babies by the body-birth method..."some barbarian
needed to have his head shoved under water.  And held there.  Until he
stopped wriggling."