[LMB] A question about Barrayar

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 07:19:06 GMT 2010

Natali wrote:
> I don't agree with you, because uterine replicators
> are interfering with a very sensitive area of Barrayaran
> psyche, that concerns reproduction and mutations, where
> anything that is not as good mother nature intended is
> well, unnatural, and therefore it has to be a mutation
> somewhere in it.

I find the reception of replicators baffling myself. I would *think*
that anything to make reproduction easier and safer should get a great
reception. Especially if you combine it with DNA screening to eliminate
any birth defects and really nasty recessives that can pop up randomly
in people. [Referring to current terrestrial matters though it does also
go for Barrayar and it's history of mutie-fears.]

On a message board I hang out upon there is currently a discussion going
on about how strongly reproductive anxiety is in people [particularly
women] and how couples will almost beggar themselves with various
treatments to get pregnant. Obviously when 'maternal instinct' was
handed out I was hiding behind the door =] I couldn't care less about
popping out a sprog, the inability to pop out a sprog has never bothered
me, and all the yucky bits about reproduction could have been very
happily removed surgically at menarch as far as I am concerned. Getting
knocked up was never a problem with me, I was doggedly fertile [my issue
was actually remaining preggers without being poisoned to death by said
sprog]