[LMB] More thoughts caused by re-reading A Civil Affair

Judy R Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Wed Nov 3 12:58:41 GMT 2010

From: "Gwynne Powell" <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:57 PM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Subject: Re: [LMB] More thoughts caused by re-reading A Civil Affair

Mark didn't intend to defraud the investors - he genuinely believed that
he'd paid for Bourgos (Jacksonian, remember - on Jackson's Whole it
would have been normal practice.)  When his error was explained he
was prepared to pay more.  He just couldn't see the point of putting a
perfectly good scientist in prison instead of making money out of him.

And I don't know how sure the Escobarans were of their right to take
Enrique - they were careful to turn up when the Count and Countess
were out, and refused to stay to discuss it with them.  They were trying
hard to get Enrique out of there before anyone in authority turned up.

Miles sent them off to go and get the proper authority - if they'd turned
up with all the right papers and clear legality on their side I don't think

he'd have stopped them.

And don't you love the way Barrayar has elevated paperwork to an art
form AND a weapon?  It was the same on Beta in TWA, they have a perfect
system to totally delay, confuse, exhaust and misdirect.  Of course, most
governments manage that without making it an official policy.

Gwynne
--
=======================
JRJ - NEW>  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that

I do heartily agree that it makes no sense to imprison a perfectly good
scientist.  Or, at any rate, to make him break rocks or whatever.  Somebody
should worldbuild a society where Enrique would be provided with a lab in
prison and directed to work at something in his field that the gov't wants.
 The plot could include some ingenious jailbreak possibilities, and then,
having escaped to sanctuary with the Duronas, Enrique finishes the project
and sends it to the gov't, so there!

But in this case it's probably good enough that the investors were paid
back, plus interest and profit.

Entwife Judy
Before breakfast, so that's the best I can do.