[LMB] Why did the sofa disappear? NOW cat scratching, ON topic for now

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Thu Nov 4 00:48:22 GMT 2010

Quoting Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>:

> Remember that Miles's attitude towards "valuable antiques" is that
> they're meant to be used, not hidden away as art pieces.  The chairs
> are probably not nearly as fine pieces of craftsmanship as the saddle,
> but Vorkosigan House probably accumulates antiques naturally: best-
> quality furniture is bought (or given by District craftsworkers or
> District officials), is used, lasts virtually forever.  Over time,
> with wear, pieces migrate from the fanciest areas where the VIP guests
> use them, to personal suites and other less-fine areas, to servant
> quarters or storage or donations to household staff.

Miles and I have much the same attitude toward such things.  I collect
things...but everything I collect is meant to be used.  I collect
comic books---but only titles that I myself enjoy reading.  I collect
guns---and every gun I own is meant to be taken out to the range on
occasion.  I collect books---and read every single one *gasps of shock
and horror from the list as my true depravity reveals itself*