[LMB] A question about Barrayar

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 4 13:03:40 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 04:42:12PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> I wondered about some other aspects of pregnancies - how about
> breastfeeding?  Breast milk is so important, especially at the very
> beginning when it gives immunity to certain diseases.  I presume
> that the technology can recreated breastmilk, but it's an added expense.

Almost certainly -- or they can induce the mother to start producing
milk.

> response to moods, no communication.  I've heard of babies who settled
> down and slept when they heard certain music that their mothers had

Pretty easy to provide music to the replicator.

> Nobody in the books talks about these issues.  And the horror of the risks of

Well, replicators are 200+ years old by now.

> body-births seems a bit excessive, women have been having babies for
> millenia, and most of them do it reasonably safely. I can see that it

"Most" leaves quite a lot, and takes a fair bit of medical care to cover
edge cases.  And even those who are safe in the end may have a rather
uncomfortable and unpleasant time of it, with long term effects to
health.

> and reduces disruption to their lives, but I'd think that a fair
> percentage of > women would choose to go the old way, unless there's
> some genetic issues.

Well, IIRC Cordelia says 1/3 of Betans are body-born, and obviously
Cordelia was willing to try.  It's the Cetagandan upper classes who have
a uniform horror of body births.

-xx- Damien X-)