[LMB] Neville Chamberlin (WAS OT: Feudal Nonsense)

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 4 16:50:36 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:12:29AM -0400, Johnson, Ron wrote:
> One interesting place to start would be Guderian's "Panzer Leader". Been
> literally
> decades since I read it, but memory says he talks a fair amount about
> how unprepared the German army was at the time of Munich. (extending to
> as far as the invasion of Russia)

More up-to-date stuff would be found in the semi-official history,
_Germany and the Second World War_, v. 1.  There was a _lot_ of
necessary armament buildup before 1939 -- and the German Army
basically shot off all its ammunition in Poland and needed several
months of production to build up the ammo reserves for the French
campaign.  If the French had attacked in 1939 the Wehrmacht would
have been in big trouble very quickly.

> I don't know the sources (or sources) Herman Wouk used in War and
> Remembrance,
> but there's also a fair amount of interesting stuff from the German POV
> (specifically
> a senior member of the General Staff) in it. Nothing authoritative to be
> sure, but a useful jumping off point.

It's _very_ iffy to use novels as historical sources for things like
this... not that Wouk didn't do his research, but if you're trying to
find out what actually happened, you need better sources.

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
And if you stare too long into the abyss of light,
what light may not shine through you?