[LMB] Miles's position, was Worst thing for Ivan -- gone SP:

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sun Nov 7 00:29:23 GMT 2010

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sat Nov 6 23:57:24 GMT 2010

r.
.
s.
p.
a.
c.
e.

David:
 > But that's just the point. Miles gives up things for Barrayar. The
 > Countship would be the thing he gives up. Because, really, Imperial
 > Auditor is a more important position *for* Barrayar, and Miles fills the
 > position of Imperial Auditor much better than he'd do as Count.

But, again, that's just the point -- *Aral* was first Admiral, then Regent,
then Viceroy without ever giving up the Countship (okay, two of those were
when he was Count's heir, not Count -- but he was Viceroy and Count at the
same time).  Why should Miles give up the Countship just because he's
also a
Lord Auditor?

As Lois said, Count is CEO for a district, and can be as much or as little
hands on as he wants.

Megaera

***  There is, indeed, a potential for conflict of interest for a Count
as an Auditor, said job being got up in the first place to audit the
Counts.   Miles is already a bit dodgy in that slot as a Count's heir,
but note Gregor mostly reserves him for off-world business, to keep him
from tap-dancing on too many tender Vor toes.  No doubt that one of the
first of many first things that Miles had to do when he arrived back on
Barrayar was formally tender his Auditorial resignation to Gregor.  I
don't know if Gregor accepted it.

If Gregor kept him on, Gregor would have to be very, very careful what
cases he assigned to Miles, so as not to screw up either Miles's
relation to the CoC, or theirs to him.  And since one doesn't know where
cases will lead until well into them... tricky.

So whether the resignation would be activated would depend on Gregor's
Auditorial needs.  He could always let Miles go, because Miles has more
than enough on his plate at that moment and very little brain to deal
with it, but call him up as a temp (9th Auditor) from time to time in
future if needed.

Or not.  Miles's new duty as Count basically swallows all that went
before, rather like becoming a Mother.  Regardless of how results play
out, one can't ever go back to what one was before.  One's relationship
to the universe is permanently changed.

s.
p.
o.