[LMB] SP: For discussion: Aral Vorkosigan has never really been a count

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 15:31:22 GMT 2010

> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 06:21:26 -0800
> From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] SP: For discussion: Aral Vorkosigan has never
> really been a count
> To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
> <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>

> >> a book named for the 3rd planet of the Empire)... never, other than
> >> for a brief period of time (chiefly spent in convalescence) between
> >> his heart attack and appointment as Viceroy of Sergyar, having
> >> functioned solely as the Count of Vorkosigan's District. Have we ever
> >> actually seen him vote in the CoC?
> >
> > When Miles was on trial in the CoC for treason?
>
> He was still Prime Minister. And did that ever come to an actual vote?
> It seems the conspirators blew themselves up before that had a chance
> to happen - and then it was decided in chambers by Gregor, Aral, and
> Count Vorhalas.

"After two days of testimony and behind-the-scenes maneuvering, the Council
vote was unanimous for acquittal." (Warrior's Apprentice)

It was decided behind the scenes, but then the trial was played out in the Council.
 All present at the behind-the-scenes meeting already knew he was innocent,
Gregor voted that way from the start instead of passing.  And Vorhalas didn't bring
charges about breaking Vorloupulous's law because they'd talked him out of it.  I
have the impression that the evidence presented to the Counts may have been
edited a little for public consumption.

I'd love to know what took two whole days!  They must have spent more time
behind the scenes applying pressure than in public taking testimony. But there was
definitely a vote, and I'm sure Aral voted.  Gregor certainly did.

Gwynne