[LMB] Elena on Barrayar, was Gregor

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Sun Nov 14 04:37:43 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tel" <teldreaming at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Elena on Barrayar, was Gregor

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Paula Lieberman <paal at gis.net> wrote:
>
>> Cover stories are often polite fictions which politely get nodded at
>> while
>> most people realize they are public -excuses- and polite fictions, and in
>> -private- gossip away.....
>

> Considering Negri was going around forcibly mind-wiping people after
> Escobar, I'm not sure the gossip would be as front and center as all that.
> In an environment where the consequences for gossiping are that drastic,
> gossip gets muted a bit. And it's twenty years later, after all.

Bothari had been Vorrutyer's toy \before the Escobar situation, though.

Bear Master's comment about Bothari's believing his own cover story,
involved someone who was delusional.  The information about Bothari as
Vorrutyer's toy, I expect was very widespread.  Militaries have -lots- of
gossip, and the gossipping trying to avoid those considered snitches....
And ships in space probably would be like small towns, everyone knows what
everyone else is doing....  I spent a year at the template for the base
Miles got exiled to for weeks, and everyone knew what everyone else
doing..... as there was more space -there- than on a Barrayaran military
ship....

Aral's nickname was off Barrayar.  Probably the Barrarayaran military
grapevine had the information that the masacre of Komarr was -not- Aral's
fault.