[LMB] English Royalty was Gregor's older brother?

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Thu Nov 18 05:03:52 GMT 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 8:34 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Bear Master wrote:
>> Humm, has any reigning British Monarch gotten married since Henry
>> VIII?
>
> Victoria and Elizabeth II were reigning at the time of their
> marriages.

That is true for Queen Victoria, but Princess Elizabeth married Prince
Philip in 1947; King George VI  died in 1952.

AFAIT, only the following are also answers to Bear Master's question:

King Charles I married Princes Henrietta Maria of France before his
coronation, but after the death of King James I.
King Charles II married Catherine of Baganza after the restoration of
the monarchy in 1660.
King George III married Duchess Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-
Strelitz about 11 months after the death of his grandfather King
George II.

Robert A. Woodward - robertaw at drizzle.com