[LMB] OT: Food (was AKICOTL Vegetarian Food)

Bear Master bearmaster0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 11:33:22 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:04 PM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com>wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2010, at 6:42 AM, William A Wenrich wrote:
> > So the  intrepid explorers come back with strange plants they insist are
> > good for food that look a little like a deadly poison. One of then is for
> > most of the plant. Anyone else want to be cautious?
>
> Tapioca (manioc?), unless properly cooked, is a very effective lethal
> poison.
>
> Who first ate a dish of it, lived, and why?
>
> Marina

If I recall the cooking directions correctly, it has to be brought to a
boil, drained and that water thrown into the midden (Don't throw it out
where the animals can get it or where you're growing anything you plan to
eat), then cook it thoroughly starting with fresh water.  You have to have
the water and firewood to cook it twice.  So we know that the first one to
eat it was not only very hungry, but they had a lot of time.

Again if I recall correctly, where it is a staple of the indigenous diet, it
is the only or almost only source of complex carbs.  Will grow where grain
and potatoes won't.

Next question: who was the first to look at a lobster and say "You know, I
bet that's some good eatin'?"