[LMB] Changing one's name

Casimira Walker-Smith aellairene at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 10:17:18 BST 2010

On 1 September 2010 02:58, <CatMtn at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 8/31/2010 9:47:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> catseyes818 at hotmail.com writes:
>
> Margaret  said:
> > Hmm, there aren't many dimunitive names in the Nexus, are there?  Ivan
> gets
> > called Ivan, Miles gets called Miles, Cordelia gets called  Cordelia,
> Aral
> > gets called Aral, et.!
>
> Actually, it's  interesting that you mention that. It's evidently one
> Russian habit that  didn't hang on through the Time of Isolation, since
> diminutives are pretty  prevalent in Russia, even extending to use by the
> populace
> when referring to  politicians. You can't walk there without tripping over
> Misha or  Sasha.
>
> t'other Anne
>
> M:
>
> Well, there were Drou and Kou, Delia, which I suppose was short for
> Cordelia, and wasn't Ekaterin's father called Sasha?  Probably others I
>  don't
> remember, too.

It's also possible that, for example, Aral's mother and siblings had a
diminutive for him which no one else used, and which Cordelia doesn't know,
and that Alys did call Ivan Vasha, it was just a baby-name, and she only
used it when he was small, and then in private, private quite concievably
not including Miles.

--
Κασιμιρα
--