[LMB] AKICOT: Bristol, England

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 6 04:32:44 BST 2010

Elizabeth Holden wrote

> Does anyone here know the Bristol area?
>
> I'll be there for a week in October and I'm researching places to see and
> to visit. I'd like to take some day trips out of Bristol, but I won't have
> access to a car, and it looks as if the places I'd most like to see
> (Tintagel, or the West Kennet Stone Row) won't be accessible.
>
> Suggestions welcome.  Do any of you live near there?

I lived in Bristol for a couple of years, a long time ago.  My top
recommendation would be to visit Bath, which you can get to easily by
British Rail.  Everything in the town would be within walking distance.
You've got the Roman baths (which are wonderful), and of course the 'Jane
Austen's Bath' bits - the Assembly Rooms, the Royal Crescent and so on.

I think you could probably get to Wells fairly easily - lovely Cathedral.
Also probably Glastonbury.

Also the SS Great Britain (Brunel's propeller-driven ship) which has been
restored.  Um, and you might manage a trip to Cheddar Gorge- where you could
taste some real cheddar cheese, which bears little or no resemblance to the
orange stuff sold under that name here in Canada.

Of course, if you head west you might be able to visit some of the Welsh
Norman castles - there are some beauties - but I couldn't say which of them
would be easily accessible by public transport.

Lovely part of the country, anyway.
Carol