[LMB] OT: Voice transcription software

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 15 21:46:20 BST 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> I worked at a place that had dictaphones, and have had a boss later who couldn't type decently. (couldn't use Word effectively).    Their saving grace was to have very good secretaries who fixed up what they wrote.    But these days, most managers have been low-level managers who learned to use computer tools to do their work.

I had to laugh in the mid 80s when (mostly older male) managers at Xerox were expected to type their own emails. They'd never learned to type, because that was women's work. Ok, if they'd been in the non-combat military, they might have learned to type up reports and forms. One mgr above my boss SHOUTED ALL HIS EMAILS because he couldn't handle upper & lower case typing. He was a sweet guy, and I did tease him about shouting all the time, and suggested he emulate e.e. cummings, writing without uppercase at all.

> Typing slows my thought process down - which is a good thing.   (I am a fast typist though).

I'm a moderate typist, and envy Harlan Ellison's ability to type 90+ wpm on a manual!
Computers allow me to sound more organized and erudite than writing by hand, if only being able to move text around to make more sense, or to add a sentence or three.

It makes composing poetry easier for me, because even my typing is faster than handwriting, and keeps up with what my brain dictates, and allows me to try out alternate verse as well.

Marina