[LMB] BD - A Civil Campaign VIII (Nikki)

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:56:03 BST 2010

And finally, in the character stakes (and yes, I know there are more, but
there's other things to get on to in week 2!), we have young Nikki, whose
part in events both as a bystanding victim and eventually as an agent of his
own and Ekaterin's destiny is considerable. As a lever on Ekaterin he is
used both by Miles (to his benefit) and by others (to his and their
discomfiture), but I've always felt he rises rather magnificently to the
occasion, in confronting Miles ('Am I supposed to kill you like Captain
Vortalon?'), in being confronted with Gregor ('*He* told me the truth'), and
in comprehensively outgunning Hugo and Vassily - while also being a very
consistent nine-year-old. He also serves to focus the issues of slander and
its effects, and more generally as a variety of emotional lighting-rod - as
kids often do, but as authors writing for adults less often portray.

What kind of chords does Nikki strike with you?

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

AVAILABLE NOW FROM HEB
Ralph Thompson, View from Mount Diablo: An Annotated Edition