[LMB] BD - A Civil Campaign IX (committees and councils)

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Thu Sep 23 03:28:54 BST 2010

  On 9/21/2010 1:40 PM, Natali wrote:
> The wedding meetings were a bit dull. Except of the part
> about who will do the check-up of the bride and the
> groom.
>
> The business meetings were fun, especially the part about
> the shares division - I loved Kareen's speech about payment:
> "Never," said Kareen with passion, "ever suggest they don't
> have to pay you. What they pay for, they'll value. What they
> get for free, they'll take for granted, and then demand as
> a right. Hold them up for all the market will bear."
>
> The political strategy meetings were very interesting, they
> gave us an insight how the political system on Barrayar works,
> and I enjoy immensely when bad guys are outsmarted, rather then
> conquered by brute force. And the thing they did with the
> foils, to find out which counts it would be useful to work
> on, was very educative. And not to mention Lady Alys's note.
> snip
> Natali

====================================
NEW from JRJ> I found all the meetings a welcome relief, from action,
action, action all the time.  How nice to negotiate, not fight.  I'm
working on a theory that the attraction of most types of entertainment
derive from a human yearning for mentoring, to makee-learnee how things
are done by those who have their act together.  So if we can work our
way into conflict not only without bloodshed but without even raised
voices, wonderful.  Let's learn how to make that happen.

More meetings, Lois.  Please.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone