[LMB] Being left handed

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 01:01:05 BST 2010

At 08:28 PM 9/22/2010, Anne Guglik wrote:

>> Howard:
>> > Why should being left handed matter to which wrist has the watch?
>> Megaera:
>> Are you righthanded? Try wearing one on your right wrist for a while and
>> you'll find out. It gets in the way of a lot of things.
>Me:
>There are a few lefties, like me, who wear it on our left wrists. Not sure why, but I was used to it until I sprained my wrist very badly last year, since which I can't tolerate it as well.

Regardless of where it is worn, wrist watches, with few exceptions, are designed for the right handed wearer, with the stem at 3 o'clock, where it requires use of the right hand to set properly (I guess a left hander could set it upside down).  I have a very good 1961 Accutron that doesn't have a stem (it is set via a popup on the back of the watch), which is one of the few exceptions.

Left handers are also at a disadvantage using scissors, screwdrivers, twist drills, or eggbeaters, but have an advantage when opening jars of pickles.

Use of a computer mouse is problematical.  The mouse pad may be about 6" closer to the center of the keyboard, which is good, but the left/right orientation needs software to permit index finger clicking.

But left handers probably find writing Arabic or Hebrew much easier than English.  They have a definite advantage at bat in baseball, being a couple of steps closer to first base when they get a hit.  There is probably no such thing as a left handed second or third baseman or shortstop.  Left handed pitchers are prized (unless they were Babe Ruth, who was so good batting that they needed to use him every day, so he played outfield).  Baseball players also find more trouble buying gloves if they are left anded.

And left handed golfers have the same type of problem:  fewer clubs available, and courses designed for the right handed golfer.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net