[LMB] Pronunciation - was Re: Names

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 21:29:56 BST 2010

> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:31:55 -0700
> From: Royce McDaniels <roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] Pronunciation - was Re: Names
> To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
> <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
>
> once we were on a road trip along the eastern coast and passed through a
> small indian reservation called the Coosawachie. We somehow lost it at this,
> and envisioned an anglo explorer meeting an indian chief for the first time
> and trying to get their name and instead getting something entirely
> different, to wit.
>
> explorer to stony faced chief, "What name your people?"
> stony faced chief in cold tones, "Coosawachie"
> explorer repeats name "Coosawachie?"
> stony faced chief smiles slightly and nods. "Coosawachie!"
> The explorer bows and leaves, having marked the tribe as the Coosawachie
> Band.
> A few minutes later the shaman comes up and asked the chief, "what did you
> say to the white eyes?"
> The chief shrugs, "I just told the flaming @ssh0le what he was and he left.
> White eyes are weird."
> You can guess what Coosawachie meant from context. It became a family saying
> for decades, puzzling non-family members greatly.
> Coosawachie Royce
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM, JenL <jenl1625 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In Arizona, for instance, you've got the English names, the Spanish names,
> > and a few pre-Spanish names. What's hilarious are the places where the
> > English came along, pointed at something, asked what it was called, then
> > slapped a descriptor on it. Not realizing, apparently, that when they
> > asked
> > what it was called, they got not the place's name but a descriptor. So,
> > Picacho Peak or Table Mesa.... ;-)

Terry Pratchett refers to the 'surly native' method of naming places, so

that landmark names translate to 'it's your finger, you fool' and 'who is this

idiot who keeps pointing at things?'.  (Can't cite the reference, sorry,

still travelling.  Which is a great excuse, because when I get home I won't

be able to find the right book anyway, or won't have time to look it up.)

Gwynne