[LMB] BD: TSK: Beguilement: ch. 5 "Confessions"

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 9 02:47:30 BST 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 05:01:58PM -0700, Harimad wrote:
> TZ> Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> intro'd Ch 5:
>
> I particularly noticed more of the traditionally unseen work seen:
> Fawn's disinclination to bleed on a valuable down tick makes sense.
> She knows exactly what it takes to get that much down stuffing, to
> wash blood out of fabric - more if she boils it, wring the damn
> thing damp, and hang it to line dry.  Dag's conviction that it's
> irrational tells me something about him: not only hasn't he done it
> himself, he likely hasn't seen it done.

It's possible that the Lakewalkers don't use down mattresses at all --
I think we'll see more of their living conditions in _Legacy_, not
here, but in the meantime this is worth thinking about.

> TZ> And what would you have expected to show up that hasn't, so far?
>
> 1. Recently-almost-raped Fawn's unease with a stranger sleeping with
> her, wrapped around her person.  I don't know if Lakewalkers have
> rape survivor training but if he had, I think he would have slept
> on a separate tick (Fawn had fixed four, did only one survive?)
> next to her, tho' still between her and the door.

Rape survivor training?  I doubt the Lakewalkers have it, between
the way their own grounds work among themselves and the general
tendency not to mix with farmers.  (Though they DO mix, it seems likely
that ... well, let's just leave _that_ discussion for _Passage_, shall
we?)

> 2. Fawn's annoyance with someone calling her diminishing nicknames -
> not just 'spark' but 'little spark' and saying he had an itty bitty
> body.  Maybe being named Fawn inures one to diminishing names a bit,
> but it sure strikes me the wrong way, every single time Dag says it.

Does it rile Fawn?

> Separate question: why do you think Lois chose to give her heroine
> the cutesy, diminutive, appropriate-only-to-a-youth name "Fawn"?

Because she's small and shy and wide-eyed?

Tony Z

--
I figure that once horses understood that humans were capable
of effectively scratching the Itchy Spots, they were all for