[LMB] BD: TSK: Beguilement: ch 10 - "Dag Stories"

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 13 07:31:46 BST 2011

Mari and Dag discuss what's to be done, including how the malice
got so big undetected.  Dag notes that the area was last surveyed
three years ago, and "there's no point" going back much beyond
ten years, which gives us some outside figures for how long a
hatchling malice might reasonably take to grow -- depending on
how much ground is available, presumably; we will see that
they can grow much faster if the right food is available.

We learn a lot about the infrastructure of a malice hunt.  (From
last chapter, Dag seems to think in terms of the right number
for a patrol as 4x4 or 5x5; why the square numbers when patrols
apparently form wide lines to sweep out territory?)

Saun and Fawn apparently spend quite a while talking, and she
must have picked up quite a few Dag stories if that was all
she wanted over several days.,.

Query: compare Dag's story to Fawn about the sorceror-lords
of old breeding themselves up out of the people with Mari's
concern to carry on the bloodline.  How different are these
concerns?

And what do we modern readers make of the concern for
racial purity?  They've got reasons for it, oh my yes,
but...

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
I figure that once horses understood that humans were capable
of effectively scratching the Itchy Spots, they were all for