[LMB] BD: TSK: Beguilement: ch. 5 "Confessions"

Timothy Collett tcollett at topazgryphon.org
Thu Apr 14 15:41:06 BST 2011

On Apr 14, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Elin B wrote:
> All threads I've seen where native English speakers go on about varied pronunciations tend to just confuse me, especially since the words they use for comparisons also often differ in pronunciation, far as I can tell.

There really *are* rules, honest!  There are just a *lot* of them, and some of them rely on somewhat ambiguous factors, and there are exceptions.  Comes of having such a bastardized language.

> I don't have all the IPA symbols perfectly memorised, but when they're still by far the best method for me to approach the right way to say the words (ditto for other foreign languages, of course!) ...Too bad I can't easily use them in plain text, though!

I have often wished that I knew the IPA, though not strongly enough to actually go out and learn it ;-)

I *think* there's supposed to be a plain-text, ASCII "transliteration" of it possible, though, naturally, I don't know that either.

Timothy Collett

--

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.