[LMB] BD: TSK: Beguilement: ch 10 - "Dag Stories"

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 14 21:43:40 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 06:23:23AM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:
> Fawn's contributions are precisely those things everyone from elves
> to Lakewalkers to fantasy authors to romantic artists dismiss with
> a lofty sniff (or a sentimental pat on the head), but without which,
> the world would fall apart fast.

And they're _important_, which is not the same thing as "things you
tell stories about" -- not every important person has what Jo Walton
called "protagonismos", the quality of being the sort of person
about whom stories are told.  (Their recipes may get passed down
for generations -- is that the same thing?)

Fawn's contribution is more than that, of course, just as Dag's
contribution is more than the killing of malices -- but in
both cases that's the foundation out of which everything rises.

> She's practical, down-to-earth, domestic. She's the person who sees
> to it the beds are made and dinner is on the table, the patrollers
> have washed their hands before eating, the chickens have been fed,
> and there's money in the jar to pay the bills. In the army, she's
> be the Quartermaster. And believe me, as many a grown child on
> their own has discovered, you don't know what you've got till its
> gone... every family should have one, whether it's mom, dad, or
> Old Nanny.

Oh, definitely.

> Pat, who has developed a belated and profound respect for the homely
> virtues and talents that turned gold rush camps into orderly
> settlements in their day.

And which is why the Winning of the West isn't just about Daniel
Boone and company, important though they were.

Tony Z

--
I figure that once horses understood that humans were capable
of effectively scratching the Itchy Spots, they were all for