[LMB] BD: TSK: Legacy, the beginning

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:57:34 BST 2011

Well, my turn to take the thread of the tale and weave it as I can!
(Not being one who sews much, I'd better move on with my metaphor
before it crashes into a tree.  As I've said before, I like my
metaphors like I like my eggs -- thoroughly scrambled.)

SO:
We're about to see a Lakewalker camp after seeing a farmer town and a
farm.  For all they're very different people, watch out for evidence
that they're less different than they think they are.  Parallels with
Fawn's family and Dag's, for one, and parallels between the general
populations for another.

I'm doing chapters one and two this first day, because 19 chapters
across 14 days requires some doubling up, and because most of chapter
one is re-introducing Dag and Fawn.

Chapter one we see them traveling oh-so-industriously to Hickory Lake,
and finding out that they arrived late because Mari arrived early.
Smart tactician that Dag is, we already see him being less careful
about his planning than he ought to be.  Well, we do know he's
brand-new to making plans again.  At the start of Beguilement he said
he'd sworn off plans, after all.  Both Mari and Nattie had insisted on
knowing what his plans were; Nattie gave him a good direction to start
in.  Now he's got to figure out how to make his still-vague plans
work.   Other thoughts about what he's doing?

In chapter two we meet Massape and Fairbolt, and we see Mari again?

What do you think of these folk?  What do we think of how Dag acts
among them?  Fawn is finding people talking around her -- Dag among
them.  What do we think of this?  There are good reasons, she doesn't
know the culture at all, she can't tell if they're communicating via
their ground-sense, and Dag's future as a patroller is on the line,
but....

I admit I'm amused by his use of his sling as an explanation of why
he's late.  Of all the things that delayed them, that wasn't one of
them.  It sped him along, in several ways.

2 Skiffy thoughts:
1) Do you suppose Lakewalkers have a kind of sign language with
groundsense?  It's not hard to picture how something like that might
work.
2) Why don't patrollers make cords to be kept by their patrol leaders
and camp captain, so their life/death can be known with better
certainty even when not married? Nearest answer I have is that
Lakewalkers live very rigid lives -- they don't do a lot of
out-of-the-box thinking.  Fawn's question about pegs holding ground
seems to show her starting to think in such directions.

I could ask about twenty more questions, but this really ought to be
enough for a start.

Karen Hunt