[LMB] BD: TSK: Beguilement: ch 10 - "Dag Stories"

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 20 19:31:17 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:34:34PM +1000, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Yes, 'Dark ages' is a poetic term, but not really accepted by historians
> any more.

Though I think it still fairly describes the 6th and 7th centuries.

You can prove a lot if you just pick the right part of the Middle
Ages -- remembering the traditional dates from 476 to 1492, you can
prove a _lot_ about whichever part of the millennium you care to
specify.  500 AD in Britain is not 800 AD in the Rhineland is not
1300 AD in Italy is not 1480 in Brussels, etc. etc.

<snip much good stuff about the Saxons>
> None of the above sound like 'dark ages' to me. Pretty enlightened,
> really.

Much of it was.  Though one might note that Roman law of the same
period was not unadvanced in many of those respects.

Tony Z
--
I figure that once horses understood that humans were capable
of effectively scratching the Itchy Spots, they were all for