[LMB] BD: TSK: Legacy, more contrast (ch 6, 7)

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Sun Apr 24 09:42:34 BST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Gwynne Powell
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:38 PM

Snip

I wonder if Dag feels, deep down, that he's earned some leeway. He's given
his wife, his hand, his youth, his hopes and dreams, decades of his life,
his ambition and a lof of his strength. He's patrolled more, had more malice
kills, than anyone. He's trained countless patrollers and kept them alive.
He's made a difference, a huge difference. He seems to hope that he's earned
more than just store credit for all of that.

But I also wonder if, deep down, Dag knows that it's not going to work.
He has to go home to report, and he wants Fawn to see his home and what his
life is like. They're still getting to know each other, he's seen her
family, and it explained some about her. Now she gets to see his, which
answers a few questions.

But I don't know if Dag is going home to try and fit into camp life, or if
he's giving them a chance to accept him. It's not Fawn and Dag on trial,
it's his family and his camp. He can't go off on his journey of discovery
without giving his home camp a chance, it's as if he's tying off loose ends.

So his seeming lack of a plan, his paralysis instead of planning, are
because he's just waiting to see if the Lakewalkers will pass his test. He
doesn't bother making a better home, or acquiring too much, because he knows
it's all temporary.

Gwynne

====================================
NEW from JRJ> Excellent analysis.  Thank you.

Sounds a bit arrogant of him, however, put that way.  Reminiscent of Jesus,
actually.  Anybody else think so?  Intentional?

In the end, I still think it's more a matter of feeling his way, both
personally and toward a rejoined humanity.  When he saw how intransigent his
own people were, and even the best of them had no solutions to offer that
would accomplish the long-term necessity (as he saw it, but nobody else
did), he "went off into the wilderness" to think it through again.

Meanwhile, he could get Fawn away from a toxic situation, and fulfill a
promise to take her to the sea, and cogitate on ways and means to social
reinvention.  OK, modification.  (Who does he think HE is? See Gwynne's
paragraph, the first one retained above.)

--
Entwife Judy
The Skiffy Minded