[LMB] Titles

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:21:36 BST 2011

> From: Rachel anglerfish at gmail.com

> Gwynne: "Mostly it's
> pretty simple: there's the Count and Countess Vorwhatsit.
>
> After that there's the heir and wife, Lord and Lady Vorwhatsit."
>
> So, when Miles becomes Count Vorkogisan, does Ekaterin become
> Countess, or does she wait until Cordelia dies? Are they both
> Countess, or does Cordelia gain some new title?

Ekaterin becomes Countess when Miles becomes Count. I'm sure.
Cordelia should become Dowager Countess.

Here's another rank question - in r/l, in the good old days, what
happened if the new Count (or Duke, Earl, whatever) died before
the Dowager? His widow would be a Dowager too - can you have
two Dowagers? How did they tell them apart? (The names, I mean,
not the women. Obviously you can tell the women apart in person.)

Gwynne