[LMB] Aral

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Aug 2 15:30:53 BST 2011

Throughout history there have been minorities, often considered socially
aberrant, of women who supported themselves--some by widowhood, some by
choice, some by happenstance other than hard luck, and some out of a drive
for emancipation and self-determination.  There was beguinage, for example,
which the Roman Catholic Church tried to squelch.  But, when women chose the
self-determination, they mostly eschewed marriage, as an institution which
would legally put them under the domination and control of a husband.
Given up the self-determination and the freedom to be a wife subject to all
sorts of -legal- abuse... was something perhaps the majority of
self-supporting women over the age of 21 or so, could be very averse to...
(my own maternal grandmother was reluctant to marry and had to be persuaded
into it, she apparently was reluctant to give up the independence, she had a
job and was self-supporting)