[LMB] Aral

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 2 16:54:10 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:18:16AM -0300, Rachel wrote:
> Ha! I'm definitely Ms. Spock in in my relationship--more likely to
> say, "How interesting, this situation seems to have activated my
> amygdala." My partner is the poet and the philosopher. That the male
> is more commonly the cold logical one is certainly a cultural bias we
> seem to hold these days, but it wasn't always. Think of men in lace
> and tights writing long poems about unrequited love while women were
> seen as the practical, pragmatic ones.

For instance, Kipling's "The Female of the Species."

> Come to think of it, women are still often seen as being more
> concerned with their partner's job/money than with love. How is it
> that we can be both the irrational and the too-rational? I suppose
> women have only been able to choose love over pragmatism since we've
> been allowed to support ourselves.

I think it's more than the pragmatic ones were more likely to produce
offspring ;)  Certainly there are cases going far, far back of women
choosing love over pragmatism.  (Consider Lydia in _Pride and Prejudice_,
for instance; fictional, but you can find lots of similar cases in
the legal system...)

Tony Z

--
So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since
it enables one to find or make a Reason for every thing one has