[LMB] Teenage Rebellion...

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Aug 10 06:59:07 BST 2011

I've wondered for years what results of studies on teens in other cultures
might show. And I hadn;t realized that the sample sizes for the "research"
regarding teens were so small, and the research so flawed....

The pernicious influence of film and TV--there are Pacific islands where
anorexia and bulimia and otherwise underweight undernourished teenaged girls
were unknown until the arrive of TV and films--particularly seem to slide by
without actual active studies done, as opposed to "there was a strong
correlation noticed of a rise in teenage problems/troubles with the
introduction and presence of TV and movies to a culture" but not field work
involving interviews and observations of actual people and charting of
content watched versus attitudes and behaviors....  the research in the USA
regarding psychological effects of fplaying different types of games with
different levels of content and of watching different types of TV and movie
content tend to be controversial for a number of reasons, including if
tendencies nd beliefs aexisted before watching/playing and predisposed
people to the content, or whether watching/playing induced the tendencies
and beliefs, or whether there is are positive feedback loops involves--and
how does peer pressure and advertising promotions affect that?  And there it
gets into the area of commercial/social/political because of large amounts
of revenue involved....  video and computer games involve more money in the
USA then the film industry....

I wonder if it might not be the entertainment industry, particular AV
entertainment, which would be most likely to engender a Jackson's Whole-type
culture...