[LMB] Crime, computers and fast-penta

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Sun Dec 4 15:59:46 GMT 2011

"What bugs me is that I see a lot of black men, and some Latinos, who were
given more severe sentences than a white person would get."

"-The crime of being black/not-the-religion-in-power/female/etc.-"
Shyster lawyers, however, can direct/misdirect questioning to bias the
testimony.  And fictionally, again, I point to A Conflict of Honor, and the
essentially rigged court case with the fast-penta analogue application.

Fast penta did NOT come out of Lois' imagination without precursor.  It was
around in SF for decades prior to Lois' authoring of Shards of Honor and The
Warrior's Apprentice, with the "classic" SF and space opera, the Good Guys
in White Hats applying truth serum as magickal device to get evidence and at
The Truth, in the old black and white stuff.... Lois' work has a lot more
gray in it and characters who aren;t cardboard.  But it does have the fast
penta Magickal Device, except that Miles has this allergy to it....  Sharon
Lee and Steve Miller's treatment of the stuff I find more credible as
regards  "what would happen if this weren't to be used as a Magic Plot
Device?"