[LMB] OT: soup

Laura Gallagher celticdragonfly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:07:59 GMT 2011

re:crockpot stock> If so, throw a chicken carcass or part of a turkey
carcass, a couple of> chopped ribs of celery, about half a chopped
onion, a couple of tablespoons> of white vinegar, and a teaspoon of
chicken Better Than Bouillon (in the> soup aisle at the grocery) into
it, turn it on low, and forget about it for> about 8 hours.
> Also, roasting a chicken is even easier than making stock in the crockpot.
> Really.  375 degree oven, one whole raw chicken (as close to four pounds as
> you can find for the timing I list here), one roasting pan with a rack.
> Rinse chicken out, remove any giblets or whatever in the cavity, put on rack
> in pan, put in oven for a couple of hours (give or take -- when one of the
> legs wiggles easily and the skin is brown, it's done).  I know people are
> going to jump in here saying you have to baste and season and do other more
> complicated things, but, honestly?  If all you want is the meat for another
> recipe and the carcass, this'll do nicely.  Really.

 You people are PERSUASIVE.

I just got back from the grocery store.  4 year old Alanna enjoyed the
outing with me greatly.  There's currently a 5 lb chicken in a new
roasting pan with rack in the oven at 375.  (I did sprinkle some
garlic wine seasoning over it, just because I figured that couldn't
possibly HURT and it will make the kitchen smell so good.)

My Miles said that I should save the giblets and toss those in with
the carcass for the stock, so those are in a ziplock in the fridge.

When the chicken is done, I'm going to cut up the chicken meat and
make a casserole.  Egg noodles, veggies (carrots, broccoli,
cauliflower, and corn, all frozen), cream of chicken soup (yes, I'm
using canned, not up to making my own of that yet), parmesan cheese,
shredded cheddar cheese on top.  We'll have that with some salad and
cheese garlic toast.

Then the carcass and stock will go in the crockpot with your stuff.  I
checked two stores, they both had Better Than Bouillon but neither had
chicken in stock. :(  So I bought regular chicken bouillon cubes, I
hope that will do.

I am learning new domestic things today.  In some ways I feel like
Cordelia wandering Vorbarra Sultana and going "ooh, look WOOD
panelling!"  I know, this is all easy basics to you but not routine to
me.

Oh, and I remembered another reason I usually don't cook.  By the time
I'm done grocery shopping, I'm SO TIRED!  Fortunately I had my
husbands come out and carry groceries in and put it all away.  :)

Laura Gallagher