[LMB] TSR sequel

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Feb 15 18:28:57 GMT 2011

--- On Tue, 2/15/11, James Nicoll <jdnicoll at panix.com> wrote:

> For some reason in some secondary world fantasies historial
> patterns are so fixed that you can e.g. introduce domesticated dragons
> at the dawn of history and thousands of years later the changes
> still have not been enough to keep the Beast of Corsica from being
> born (or for that matter, from having Franco-British rivalries play
> out as they did in our time)

Well, *of course*.  And I know you well enough to know you are not so naive as to imagine that human nature works in such a way that anyone would write about the world that would really exist in such a case, assuming such a reality were imaginable, or that anyone would want to read it.

The trick to fiction is making it feel real when it's anything but.  It's taking what we know and making it different. So we crib from history and even other novels.  Elizabeth Bennett gets to meet zombies, Hermione goes to Hogwarts even though her father's a Muggle, and Temeraire fights the good fight in recognizable style.

> In later books, Kitchener is suddenly Berlin, almost as
> though the author got a number of letters on this point.

LOL.  Well, why not?  But if I were him, I'd have postulated another man named Kitchener, with a different history, and have kept the name.

namaste,
elizabeth