[LMB] BD: Curse of Chalion 2 - Free Will

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:43:31 GMT 2011

On 24 February 2011 08:59, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip long and thoughtful post>
>
> Again, with no intent of offending anyone, I find it odd that those with
> personal faith of an orthodox Christian variety haven't reported feeling
> more, um, challenged by the theologies of Chalion. Removing or qualifying
> the Inquisition in TSR is one thing, but the 5GU is a far greater matter,
> surely, and tackles problems in (the institutions of) faith that are
> systemic rather than historical. Not so?

No, never. Partly because of the Five seem in some respects to be how I see
my God, only split out into five in a different way than we usual see Him as
Three.

But primarily because it has some amazing things to say about prayer and how
to *relate* to God, and that translates no matter the difference between the
faiths.  A relationship between you and your God is a relationship between
you and your God, no matter the religion, and how Cazaril approaches the
Daughter and theology doesn't parallel how I approach/my relationship with
God, but there's a lot in there I can learn from.  The bit about prayer
spoke to me at the right time in the right way and for that, I will always
love CoC.

I appreciate philosphy and theology (particularly the former) a lot more
when presented in fictional format.

People used to say to me when I was growing up "Oh, you're a Christian, a
reader and you liked fantasy.  Have you tried/you must like the Narnia
books".  Well, no, I don't like the Narnia books for the most part (and
willfully ignored as much of the Christian allegory as I could until I was
sixteen or so when I finally admitted defeat), and they don't speak to me
very much - nor do the Left Behind series by LaHaye and whatshisname.  But
Chalion does, for some reason.

Also, it was *really* nice to read a fantasy novel where the theology was
original and decently worldbuilt.  So many are generic or based off previous
mythologies - so I end up disagreeing about with the interpretation because
I did too much history/classics and the author gets things wrong. Actually,
the only complaint a friend of mine had with the theology in CoC after I
made her read it was that it was a bit *too* neat and tidy (even with the
Quadrenes).  Humans are messier, she says.

Although CoC is my favourite of Lois' books, I'll not be commenting too much
on it.  I find analysis can ruin the magic, sometimes, and I want to keep
the magic for CoC.  The discussions are interesting though, and I am reading
them.

Katrina