[LMB] Wormholes and the tyranny of distance

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 01:18:09 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Royce McDaniels
<roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com> wrote:
> calculation time:
>
> 1 light second: 186,000 miles (now THERE's a scary though, no wait, it's
> distance, never mind...)
> 1 light minute:   11,160,000 miles
> 1 light hour:       669,600,000 miles
> 1 light day:        16,070,400,000 miles
>
> distance earth to neptune: 2,829,691,160 miles
> distance earth to pluto: 4,583,189,132 miles.
>
> now assume the ships do NOT go through wormholes at .5C (from Vor Game space
> combat i think this most unlikely) but must accelerate to it, cross the
> system, then decelerate to wormhole entrance speed and jump again. if most
> wormholes are at pluto distances (which textev hints)

Er, no. Wormholes seem to be more inner system phenomena. Watch the
communications lag time. Maybe average Jupiter distance, with a great
deal of variation? There are long, several-day transits, but those are
rare. The dead end wormhole in Komarr is near the soletta, so it has
to be between Komarr and its sun.

I'll go hunt down my Vor Game calculations at some point - I did post
them. IIRC the main body of the fleet decelerated to rest from 36
light minutes out in 12 hours or so, and the Ariel made it a few hours
faster. That's from memory, though.

-Tel