[LMB] OT: Australia (was Take care, everyone) .. redbacks

Lucy Chubb lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au
Sat Jan 1 09:53:31 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 12:26:34PM +1100, Marian Lesslie wrote:
> Oh no, redbacks are nice. They're small and they live outdoors. And, since I
> am a terrible city-dweller and hardly ever venture outdoors, that's OK with
> me :)

You just have to watch where you put your fingers every time you pick something up outside. Redbacks love living in human artifacts like kids toys, under the rims of flowerpots, and the like. I _always_ knock out my gardening gloves before putting them on. My kids find them periodically and call me to get rid of them (they found one in their swimming pool last summer). I found some in the kitchen cupboard once and now I never clean it out without a shoe in easy reach in case another one turns up. Oh... and one turned up under the kids bed a few years back.

I had a friend who said he'd never seen a redback... I found one for him within 5 minutes.

At least they squish easily.

LucyC