[LMB] Australia (was Take care, everyone) .. redbacks >> Bill Brysons comments on deadly Australia

Leanne Martin leanne_martinau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 1 14:11:50 GMT 2011

RE
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Australia (was Take care, everyone) .. redbacks

>>  Bill Brysons comments on deadly Australia
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Travel/Travel_Writing/9780767903868/

Hi All,
I am prompted by LucyC's missive on our Redback spider (currently spreading into
New Zealand and Japan thanks to our shoddy export practices). I, too, have had
no trouble finding them inside and outside of houses - anyone in Oz who can't
find one within a few minutes just isn't looking. I recall when I lived in
Melbourne a few decades ago there were the famous photos of a redback killing a
brown snake (one of those 10 deadliest snakes in the world) under a suburban
house. I know the snake  experts deny Tiger snakes do this but when I lived in
Tasmania I was chased by one....

Near the bottom of this page there are images of redbacks being attacked by the
'Daddy Long Legs' spiders. This is why I always leave several DLL nests up
around my place when I am cleaning. I saw one kill a huntsman in my bathroom one
day - died in about two minutes after their tussle- I was amazed!
"http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_weavers/images/wpe23.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_weavers/Red_Back.htm&usg=__lNvATJl_jJqukWdLsDfLBbQRDeY=&h=430&w=600&sz=24&hl=en&start=261&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=E6D6lAj6YfqBNM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspider%2Bkilling%2Bsnake%26start%3D260%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

For those of you   have not Bill Bryson's book of his travels to Australia I can
highly recommend it. He had me in stitches when he was relating his regaling of
others as to how dangerous Australia, its land animals, plants, fish and weather
are. To Quote a review of DOWN UNDER (here) / A SUNBURNT COUNTRY (not here):
"Bryson's latest travelog takes him to Australia, which, he blithely points out,
has "more things that will kill you than anywhere else." Such lethal
"attractions" include ten snakes with the deadliest venom in the world,
poisonous spiders, lethal seashells, toxic plants, hazardous ocean riptides,
sharks, and box jellyfish that can effectively end the beach season. ...His
unrelenting insistence that Australia is the most dangerous place on earth ("If
you are not stung or pronged to death in some unexpected manner, you may be
fatally chomped by sharks or crocodiles, or carried helplessly out to sea by
irresistible currents, or left to stagger to  an unhappy death in the baking
outback") spins off dozens of tales involving jellyfish, spiders and the world's
10 most poisonous snakes." <<  I don't think Bryson has been to Africa yet...>>

Also, for the doubting Thomases out there I can Recommend this book:
http://www.bookworm.com.au/Book/Venomous-Creatures-of-Australia-A-Field-Guide-with-Notes-on-First-Aid-5th-Edition-9780195553307.aspx

"In this wholly revised edition of the bestselling Venomous Creatures of
Australia, Sutherland, Struan/ Sutherland, John have included the latest
information available on our venomous creatures and the proper treatments for
their bites and stings. From stonefish to jellyfish and tiger snakes to stinging
ants, this book covers sixty of the most dangerous Australian terrestrial and
marine animals. Every first aid kit - in the home, on the farm, in the bush, at
the beach, or on the boat - should include a copy of this indispensable and
potentially life-saving guide."

PLEASE NOTE: The above book only covers the sixty MOST venemous creatures here.

Cheers from down under, come on all you tourists "Where the bloody hell are?
Leanne.

ORIGINAL FROM LUCYC:
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
    <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Oh no, redbacks are nice. They're small and they live outdoors. And, since I
> am a terrible city-dweller and hardly ever venture outdoors, that's OK with
> me :)

You just have to watch where you put your  fingers every time you pick something
up outside. Redbacks love living in human artifacts like kids toys, under the
rims of flowerpots, and the like. I _always_ knock out my gardening gloves
before putting them on. My kids find them periodically and call me to get rid of
them (they found one in their swimming pool last summer). I  found some in the
kitchen cupboard once and now I never clean it out without a shoe in easy reach
in case another one turns up. Oh... and one turned up under the kids bed a few
years back.

I had a friend who said he'd never seen a redback... I found one for him within
5 minutes.

At least they squish easily.

LucyC