[LMB] Wormholes and the tyranny of distance

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat Jan 1 14:59:03 GMT 2011

<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> Worldbuilding note: if ships routinely do 0.5c, radio has only a 2x
edge
>> over them.

> I think max coasting speed for Vorkosigan ships -is- stated to be 0.5
c in TWA, but most in-system travel obviously won't get up to that
point. Magical drives must be assumed, of course, but it's -space
opera- and I don't have a problem with that if it fits the text.

Textev in fact in [tVG ch 15 ] sounding almost Weberian

 Mass shielding, designed to protect moving ships from space debris
encountered at normal-space speeds up to half-cee, shrugged off missiles
without even trying.
==

Michael Dolbear,
Little Egret in Walton-on-Thames