[LMB] Wormholes and the tyranny of distance

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 17:11:35 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Michael R N Dolbear
<m.dolbear at lineone.net> wrote:
>> From: Tel <teldreaming at gmail.com>
>> Date: 01 January 2011 08:01
>
>> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Damien Sullivan
> <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Worldbuilding note: if ships routinely do 0.5c, radio has only a 2x
> edge
>>> over them.
>
>> I think max coasting speed for Vorkosigan ships -is- stated to be 0.5
> c in TWA, but most in-system travel obviously won't get up to that
> point. Magical drives must be assumed, of course, but it's -space
> opera- and I don't have a problem with that if it fits the text.
>

> Textev in fact in [tVG ch 15 ] sounding almost Weberian
>
>  Mass shielding, designed to protect moving ships from space debris
> encountered at normal-space speeds up to half-cee, shrugged off missiles
> without even trying.

Yeah, but because the accelerations aren't -quite- as ridiculous,
those kind of speeds aren't going to come up. The average speed of
travel will be way lower. It'd take (well, handwaving) well over 2
days just to hit .5 c by the vor game figures, and unless you're
traveling over 275 AU (which you shouldn't be) you won't hit that
speed at all.

-Tel