[LMB] CRYOBURN: What happens next for. . . (FIC)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jan 1 19:34:31 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 01:21:57PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> > From: Royce McDaniels roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com
>
> > I see her as continuing as Vicereine (remember that it is specifically noted
> > as being coequal as opposed to through her husband) on Sergyar until she is
> > ready to retire. She still has Mark AND Miles to look after, remember, and
> > they are largely tied to Barrayar for now. Not to mention all those
> > grandchildren (both Miles' existant ones and Mark's putative ones (once
> > Kareen is ready for them)).
>
> > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Tracy A <greenlady31 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > After Cryoburn, what happens next for Cordelia? It's hard to imagine her
> > > either playing the traditional widow on Barrayar, or trying to step back
> > > into Betan society.
>
> When I got to THAT part in Cryoburn, my first thought was 'ohhhh Aral! no!'
> My second thought was of a pair of black boots in the mud, as he stood over
> her, waiting patiently, that first moment. My third thought, and the one relevant
> here, was that the grandchildren wouldn't have a chance to know Aral.
>
> Even in their thirties Gregor and Miles still needed advice, guidance and support
> from Aral. I was so hoping that there'd be some quiet retirement time after
> Sergyar, when he sat in the sun at Vorkosigan Surleau and the grandchildren
> had a chance to listen to his stories, and learn from him.
>
> With Aral gone, I don't think that Cordelia will go back to Beta for good. All
> true wealth is biological, and those grandchildren are her own personal
> empire. And Miles and Mark too, of course. Ekaterin is fearsomely busy, she
> wouldn't mind some help. Gregor would love to have Cordelia closer to hand.
> And the grandchildren... she'll want to be with them, or see them, regularly.
> She has to tell them about Aral. And make sure they get a good Betan upbringing.
>
> I think she'll go back to Beta, for a while, but Barrayar will draw her back. She's
> spent more time within the Empire than on Beta. And so often, migrants don't
> like the new country, the old one was so much better, it was HOME. And they go
> home, and ... it's not right any more. I've seen a few cases of people who
> moved to Australia, missed their old country and went home, then realised
> they'd changed, and they came back to the new place after all. I think Cordelia
> has changed more than she realises. And she never quite fit in on Beta, anyway.
>
> I don't think she'll stay on Sergyar, I think she'll move to Barrayar. But she'll need
> some new job, and Gregor will have to push the envelope a bit more for her.
> Having Cordelia around will be good, but Cordelia with nothing to do is dangerous.
>
> I wonder what job she'll take - Minister for the Equality of Women? Probably, but
> not with so obvious a title.

Can you imagine Cordelia as an Imperial Auditor? Pity the poor wrongdoer(s)
she uncovers. Oh my.

Not that Auditor is necessarily the right/best job for her, just
thinkin' out loud.

If Barrayar had a court system (other than the counts' individual
judiciaries, varied as they probably are) I could see cordelia as
head justice in the "supreme court". She could hand down decisions
pushing the council of counts, etc., into the direction of actually
writing down their laws!

But I suspect whatever she ends up doing, she would make sure all
her grandchildren had a proper focus on honor, fairness, and justice
for all.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.