[LMB] OT: Australia (was Take Care)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jan 1 22:06:17 GMT 2011

On Jan 1, 2011, at 10:38 AM, kerry weisselberg wrote:

> I wouldn't cope with that either, no way. The size of them. Jeez. Big
> spiders in the U.K. (small by others' standards, a maximum of say 4"
> spindly-legspan) freak me out a little, and it's taken me years to
> train myself to cope with them. And they are harmless...

I wonder what makes some people be scared of animals they know are harmless, while other people don't get scared.

My mother-in-law is scared of snakes - but she's scared of everything, so that doesn't count.   Sometimes one could have a childhood incident (rats chewing on them as infants), but more often we don't find such a cause.  Maybe it's innate (I see more and more evidence that conservatives or liberals are born, not made).