[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: classical section in LOTR soundtrack

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 01:46:04 GMT 2011

As films from books go, it's pretty good. I knew the text well and while I
deeply regret the omission of the scouring of the shire (which is a -very-
unusual way for Tolkien to have ended an epic) I can understand the
decision. The -only- thing I don't forgive Jackson & co. (other than
inducing the genre of hobbit slash) is screwing up the contrast of Boromir
and Faramir, by making Faramir over-ring-hungry too, and diverting Frodo &
Sam to Osgiliath -- a nonsense that screws up all the travel times and
distances as well as a critical thematic contrast between Denethor's sons
(not to mention tragedy and comedy).

Re: the music question, as has been said, the reference isn't exact enough,
but there was a DVD on the music and Howard Shore's (?) compositions, that
came with one of the Director's Cuts sets that included wee models of the
Argonath and Minas Tirith. That might provide a clue.

Director of Studies in English, St Catharine's College

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk