[LMB] Follow Up For More Wormhole Technobabble

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 01:49:51 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 06:16:37PM -0500, Gretchen Wright wrote:
>
>> interpretation that occurs to me is that the news was transmitted by
>> radio and
>> took 24 years to arrive, hence a distance of 24 light-years. Anyone have a
>
> That seems most sensible.
>
> I'd note that while Beta and Earth are connected, the route goes through
> Tau Ceti and Escobar, and an unknown number of intermediate wormholes.
> I don't remember the travel time -- did anyone make a travel time Nexus
> map? -- but they're not that close in network topology.  At least two
> interesting intermediate nodes and some higher number of true
> intermediates.

It'd be -vaguely- two weeks plus or minus some days by modern fast
courier. But the travel time was much longer before the invention of
artificial gravity. It occurs to me that I don't think we know whether
Beta Colony or Earth invented the Necklin drive, and if it was Beta
Colony, that might explain a lot about where its Nexus dominance came
from.

Tau Ceti (hardly seen, I think all we really know about it is that the
inhabitants are dark-skinned) seems to be the center of the Nexus,
more or less. While there's no direct text evidence for this, all the
indirect evidence puts it right on top of Escobar.

-Tel