[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: classical section in LOTR soundtrack

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 2 08:07:38 GMT 2011

John Lennard wrote

> As films from books go, it's pretty good. I knew the text well and while I
> deeply regret the omission of the scouring of the shire (which is a -very-
> unusual way for Tolkien to have ended an epic) I can understand the
> decision. The -only- thing I don't forgive Jackson & co. (other than
> inducing the genre of hobbit slash) is screwing up the contrast of Boromir
> and Faramir, by making Faramir over-ring-hungry too, and diverting Frodo &
> Sam to Osgiliath -- a nonsense that screws up all the travel times and
> distances as well as a critical thematic contrast between Denethor's sons
> (not to mention tragedy and comedy).
>
> Re: the music question, as has been said, the reference isn't exact
> enough,
> but there was a DVD on the music and Howard Shore's (?) compositions, that
> came with one of the Director's Cuts sets that included wee models of the
> Argonath and Minas Tirith. That might provide a clue.

I enjoyed the 'extras' that came with the extended version DVD set, which
included a bit explaining some of the editorial choices that had to be made
in terms of what to leave out.  Jackson's reasoning made perfect sense in
most instances, and I take his point that 'The Two Towers' really didn't
stand alone as a story, simply being the middle bit of what was really one
long book.  I gather that his tinkering with the character of Faramir and
the extra bit in Osgiliath was part of an attempt to create a workable
narrative arc with a bit of excitement to provide a climax to the movie.
While I can sympathize with his problem, I still haven't forgiven him for
what he did to Faramir, who was always one of my favourite characters.  I
think that particular choice created more narrative problems than it solved
- in addition to making Faramir almost a clone of Boromir, it also messed up
the scene at the waterfall where Faramir rejects the temptation to take the
ring - one of my favourites.

Faramir was also the victim of some very strange editing choices in 'The
Return of the King', where towards the end he and Eowyn were suddenly and
inexplicably shown as being an item.  The extended version did include part
of the scenes in the Houses of Healing which showed their meeting and their
growing connection, but without those scenes none of it made much sense.

I also didn't really like David Wenham as Faramir - he was too thuggish and
should have been more cerebral - although I guess he fitted in with
Jackson's version of Faramir well enough.

Music - this will give me an excuse to watch the first film again.  Someone
suggested that parts sounded a bit like 'Carmina Burana' so I'll have to
listen for that.  I've actually sung in Howard Shore's travelling production
of the 'Lord of the Rings Symphony' (they tour the show using the local
Symphony orchestra and chorus in each city, and I was in the Calgary show)
and I don't remember thinking anything was particularly derivative.  But
then, Carmina has been used so much as a source of inspiration for
everything from beer commercials to video game scores I wouldn't be a bit
surprised if there are echoes of it in the LOTR movies.

Carol