[LMB] Yuri MAD!

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 2 20:11:56 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 01:47:31PM -0500, Pouncer at aol.com wrote:

> We  know from _Cetaganda_  that Dorca was NOT hidden  away
> from the forces of Occupation, but in fact carried a sword
> (one of several which was presented a memorial to the Haut
> Empress)  actively leading battles against the Ghem.
>
> Dorca would not have so risked himself has his heir -- Yuri --
> been at risk.  Argue, if Pouncer likes, that Yuri was held
> hidden in caves in the fashion of Gregor, two generations later.
> But the notion of Yuri as a puppet of the Occupation and
> symbol of the Collaborations is ridiculous.

I don't know.  You yourself argued that hostages are regarded as dead.
So, puppet Yuri is 'dead'.  Dorca still has Xav as an heir.  And if the
Cetagandans are being seductive, a hidden emperor may be less effective
in rebellion than a risk-taking one.  Also, Dorca had spent his life
unifying Barrayar.  Switching to a (to him) cowardly life may have been
impossible for him, even if were the prudent thing to do.

If you're thinking that the Cetagandans would have killed Yuri for
Dorca's resistance... well, not necessarily.  Some combination of Yuri
or Dorca's cleverness in disassociation, and realpolitik regarding how
they were trying to govern Barrayar, could persuade the ghem that this
was impractical or counterproductive, whether or not it was.

"My fathher never liked me anyway.  I will serve you.  Really!"
"Kill my son?  My son is dead as long as you hold him.  Killing him will
only redeem his honor in my eyes."

-xx- Damien X-)