[LMB] OT: technofolly

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 21:27:03 GMT 2011

James K.: It sometimes seems to me that if current trends continue, the
distinctions between your/you're, its/it's, there/their/they're, etc.
will all eventually disappear, leaving our descendants to wonder at
the strange randomness of our spelling.

John: Well, the wondering about spelling already happens pretty much (fair
enough in the land where Messrs Mainwaring and Cholmondeley say cough,
bough, dough, and enough <g> ; and txtng dsnt hlp, u cd say ... but you are
very right about homophones and about the enclitic apostrophe which suffers
as much as its possessive cousin from being butchered.

It's an area where the loss of Latin has bitten -- I now talk to so many
more students to whom the idea that spelling -helps- one to understand a
word is about three steps beyond.

Director of Studies in English, St Catharine's College

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk