[LMB] Vor family trees

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Mon Jan 3 18:46:55 GMT 2011

On 1/3/11 10:28 AM, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:

> Xav was Yuri's younger half-brother (no, I have never worked out how
> much younger) who was not legitimate, but rather, legitimated, when,
> however long after Yuri's mother died, Dorca married Xav's mom.
> Barrayaran law may not necessarily match the British model on this
> point.

French law (Napoleonic code) allows for legitimation of bastard children
if the parents eventually get married [1]. It has to be done at the time
of the marriage, and erases the lack of inheritance rights.

That said there seems to be some kind of stigma remaining, as Xav didn't
try for Emperor himself. Although trying for a new heir at his stage in
life (was his wife still alive? would she -- and Barrayar -- have
accepted the medical treatments required to get her pregnant again?)
might have messed up the dynastic considerations more than recruiting a
younger cousin from a previously disregarded line and marrying him off
to his half sister... Ignoring the personal issues of doing so after
loosing all of his children and most of his grandchildren.

Agnes

[1] There are several instances in my family tree. One of them my
great-great-grandfather, where the widowed farmer finally made a honest
woman out of his housekeeper when their oldest of their four sons was
~14 and he was on what he seems to have felt was his death bed. *Not*
the family stories that get told around the dinner table ;)