[LMB] BD - A Civil Campaign IV (Mark, Enrique, and butterbugs)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Jan 3 20:08:45 GMT 2011

--- On Wed, 9/15/10, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

> The backstory involving Enrique's financial shenanigans on
> Escobar and Mark's, um, liberation of him from durance vile is very
> amusing (and ripe for fanfic - is there one?), but not perhaps entirely
> credible - more of a madcap tale, though also a plot-plant for the
> penultimate scene with Gustioz.

Though one thinks of ACC as owing inspiration to Bronte, Heyer, Austin, and/or Sayers, I see much more of a Shakespearean flavour.  The high plot is that of Miles' romantic troubles; the low plot is Enrique and the Butterbugs.

I like this very much.

> And Enrique himself seems to be created for comedy
> - ectomorphic,
> sublimely unworldly, and given to highly improbably verse -

He writes sestinas.  How could I have overlooked that on first reading?  I love him for it.

> So, how do you think Mark is doing? and how would you react
> to his arrival, chez vous, with Enrique and his girls in tow?
> Polymucosaccharide, anyone? Or pate d'insecte gras?

I think I'd have shown them the door, or maybe just sent them to Vorkosigan Surleau to wreak their havoc elsewhere.

namaste,
elizabeth